[Toybox] [New Toy] - ip

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Sep 22 04:22:10 PDT 2014

On 09/15/14 23:19, Ashwini Sharma wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> Earlier had sent a version of ip, which had many TODO items.
> Attached is the updated version, having complete support for
> ip _link_, _addr_, _rule_, _route_ and _tunnel_ options.

The reason this got trapped in the spam filter (along with about 200
other messages since the last time I went rhoguh and deleted them) is
the command's larger than the message size limit.

This is an enormous command, and there's a certain amount of "bracing
myself to read through it". There's also the amount of time ifconfig
took to clean up, and here's a new implementation that doesn't share
code with that. And last year a very ineffective advocate for "ip" was
here doing his best to convince everyone we really didn't need it:

http://lists.landley.net/pipermail/toybox-landley.net/2013-April/000825.html

The end result of that big long thread was me saying "if somebody wants
to send a patch, I'll look, but I'm not writing it myself". Now somebody
has sent a patch.

Sigh. I should just put this in pending and cut a release (I'm behind
but haven't finished ping or the user*.c and group*.c cleanups yet), but
I really don't want two implementations of the same functionality. (If I
did ip, I was going to do it as a wrapper around "ifconfig" and "route"
and similar...)

Part of the problem is I don't use ip, I use the ifconfig side of
things, so I'm not personally familiar with the command syntax of the ip
versions, so it's harder for me to test them. I have to learn a whole
second set of commands well enough to find corner cases that break.

This is why it has not yet bubbled to the top of my todo list. Lemme
revisit this after I get 0.4.10 out.