[Toybox] [New Toy] - ip

Bastian Bittorf bittorf at bluebottle.com
Mon Sep 22 05:05:50 PDT 2014

* Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> [22.09.2014 13:48]:
> code with that. And last year a very ineffective advocate for "ip" was
> here doing his best to convince everyone we really didn't need it:
>
> http://lists.landley.net/pipermail/toybox-landley.net/2013-April/000825.html
>
> The end result of that big long thread was me saying "if somebody wants
> to send a patch, I'll look, but I'm not writing it myself". Now somebody
> has sent a patch.

sorry, I was not good enough to convince everybody.

[...}
> I really don't want two implementations of the same functionality. (If I
> did ip, I was going to do it as a wrapper around "ifconfig" and "route"
> and similar...)

the other way around, a wrapper around 'ip' - because
'ifconfig','route' etc. implements a subset of 'ip'. sharing code is an
important goal and now we have a mess 8-( sorry...

at the moment, there are no test defined under 'scripts/test' for ifconfig.
i'am really unsure how to 'test' this command. set ip-addresses on a
dummy-interface and check/screen-scrape the output of ifconfig?

minor notice: the link to 'ifconfig' on http://landley.net/toybox/status.html
is wrong/broken, please use http://linux.die.net/man/8/ifconfig

bye, bastian