[Toybox] getprop, setprop, NDK, git/gerrit woes

enh enh at google.com
Sat Apr 18 16:24:59 PDT 2015

i implemented getprop and setprop and switched over internally:

commit 2e4c96533c1b7ffb5f303c9589a6b4a1de6be560
Author: Elliott Hughes <enh at google.com>
Date:   Tue Apr 7 21:41:32 2015 -0700

    Implement getprop for toybox.

    Change-Id: I10cff49b7c09e9d93b3d53848f2e7d590a045405

commit 629526f72ccd2853eadfc1905b6f9f45bc2f6300
Author: Elliott Hughes <enh at google.com>
Date:   Tue Apr 7 15:46:00 2015 -0700

    Implement setprop for toybox.

    Because bionic/libcutils doesn't wait for init, I've duplicated a lot
    of the input validation that init does so we can give good error messages.

    Change-Id: I175421f7409f88813b88109f58825ce5649f1550

the problem with these changes is that the properties API isn't public
API. so not only do i have an #ifdef so i can build on the host with
the same .config file (because having the host is a nice sanity check
for all the other commands), you can't actually build this with the
NDK either. so maybe you don't even want these patches since they're
only really useful in an Android platform tree? dunno. that's your
decision. (and the reason why i didn't bother mentioning these patches
already. i'm not hiding them or anything :-) )

i've done a couple of git fetches and merges from you since you
switched and the one that includes changes i'd already committed
confused gerrit. it didn't like seeing changes with new SHAs (because
you'd cherrypicked) but the same Change-Id (which is a gerrit thing in
the commit message). gerrit won't let me _not_ use a Change-Id (in
fact, i never do --- they're always added by gerrit for me). i'm not
sure what the best way to avoid this is. the git folks had me do this:

  git push aosp HEAD:refs/for/master%base=$(git rev-parse
HEAD^),base=$(git rev-parse HEAD^2)

which at least lets me upload to gerrit, but then i hit a gerrit bug
that means i can't review the changes there anyway, so i may as well
have just pushed directly, avoiding gerrit :-(

Android native code/tools questions? Mail me/drop by/add me as a reviewer.