[Toybox] getprop, setprop, NDK, git/gerrit woes

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sat Apr 18 18:14:59 PDT 2015

On Sat, Apr 18, 2015 at 6:24 PM, enh <enh at google.com> wrote:
> i implemented getprop and setprop and switched over internally:
>
> commit 2e4c96533c1b7ffb5f303c9589a6b4a1de6be560
> Author: Elliott Hughes <enh at google.com>
> Date:   Tue Apr 7 21:41:32 2015 -0700
>
>     Implement getprop for toybox.
>
>     Change-Id: I10cff49b7c09e9d93b3d53848f2e7d590a045405
>
> commit 629526f72ccd2853eadfc1905b6f9f45bc2f6300
> Author: Elliott Hughes <enh at google.com>
> Date:   Tue Apr 7 15:46:00 2015 -0700
>
>     Implement setprop for toybox.
>
>     Because bionic/libcutils doesn't wait for init, I've duplicated a lot
>     of the input validation that init does so we can give good error messages.
>
>     Change-Id: I175421f7409f88813b88109f58825ce5649f1550
>
> the problem with these changes is that the properties API isn't public
> API. so not only do i have an #ifdef so i can build on the host with
> the same .config file (because having the host is a nice sanity check
> for all the other commands), you can't actually build this with the
> NDK either. so maybe you don't even want these patches since they're
> only really useful in an Android platform tree? dunno. that's your
> decision. (and the reason why i didn't bother mentioning these patches
> already. i'm not hiding them or anything :-) )

I need the occasional reminder about stuff you've already mentioned
anyway, because my todo heap forms archaological layers and then
compost.

> i've done a couple of git fetches and merges from you since you
> switched and the one that includes changes i'd already committed
> confused gerrit. it didn't like seeing changes with new SHAs (because
> you'd cherrypicked) but the same Change-Id (which is a gerrit thing in
> the commit message). gerrit won't let me _not_ use a Change-Id (in
> fact, i never do --- they're always added by gerrit for me). i'm not
> sure what the best way to avoid this is. the git folks had me do this:
>
>   git push aosp HEAD:refs/for/master%base=$(git rev-parse
> HEAD^),base=$(git rev-parse HEAD^2)

*blink* *blink*

Ok?

> which at least lets me upload to gerrit, but then i hit a gerrit bug
> that means i can't review the changes there anyway, so i may as well
> have just pushed directly, avoiding gerrit :-(

If you figure out how I can make less work for you, let me know. I am
_so_ not a git expert, having avoided doing more than absolutely
necessary with it (basically using the linux-kernel tree in a read
only manner) for aesthetic reasons for many years. The entire switch
to git was to make life easier for the contributors (I was happy with
mercurial).

How about if I grab the getprop/setprop commits you did but edit _out_
the change ID from the commit message?