[Toybox] Building AOSP...

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu Jan 8 10:55:33 PST 2015

Since Toybox made it into Android, I just reinstalled my big machine
with Ubuntu 14.04 so I could actually add packages to it (such as the
java version the Android Open Source Project wants), and I have
downloaded AOSP (overnight, and I had to restart it in the morning), and
it is now compiling. (Wow, that's a lot of warnings...)

Does anybody know if there's an actual android operating system channel
on IRC? The  main #android one is mostly about application development
in java, and people reimaging their phones.

Anyway, my short term goal is still to get Aboriginal Linux weaned off
of busybox, and then get Linux From Scratch built under the result. And
then _after_ that I need to take apart the AOSP build and figure out
what the minimal package set to get text mode running under the
emulator, and then try to get that rebuilding under itself.

This will almost certainly involve separating the build into layers the
way I described way back at:

https://speakerdeck.com/landley/developing-for-non-x86-targets-using-qemu?slide=91

Because the current giant hairball? It's...

I'm aware Google has the funding to make the Mongolian Hordes technique
work, but it doesn't seem quite optimal from a project scalability
perspectve. I haven't got nearly the familiarity necessary to criticize
yet, but _achieving_ the necessary familiarity is... daunting.

Working on it...