[Toybox] Building AOSP...

enh enh at google.com
Sat Jan 10 15:04:36 PST 2015

upload your patches to https://android-review.googlesource.com/ :-)

> Does anybody know if there's an actual android operating system channel
> on IRC? The  main #android one is mostly about application development
> in java, and people reimaging their phones.

no idea, sorry.

> Anyway, my short term goal is still to get Aboriginal Linux weaned off
> of busybox, and then get Linux From Scratch built under the result. And
> then _after_ that I need to take apart the AOSP build and figure out
> what the minimal package set to get text mode running under the
> emulator, and then try to get that rebuilding under itself.

traditionally there hasn't been one, but you can try
qemu_arm-userdebug. it's _supposed_ to not include a VM or anything
though i'm led to believe that right now it's building more than it's
supposed to because some unwanted dependency crept in. still probably
your best choice though.

> This will almost certainly involve separating the build into layers the
> way I described way back at:
>
> https://speakerdeck.com/landley/developing-for-non-x86-targets-using-qemu?slide=91
>
> Because the current giant hairball? It's...
>
> I'm aware Google has the funding to make the Mongolian Hordes technique
> work, but it doesn't seem quite optimal from a project scalability
> perspectve. I haven't got nearly the familiarity necessary to criticize
> yet, but _achieving_ the necessary familiarity is... daunting.

even just killing AndroidConfig.h (which gets -include'd in every file
that's built) has taken a surprisingly large chunk of my time. (and,
pretty much by definition, the stuff that's left is the hardest stuff
to kill.) the tree is so large, and with so many different users, that
it's pretty hard to make any change to the build. and there's usually
something more urgent to do.