[Toybox] Smack questions (was Re: vmstat bug + patch)

José Bollo jobol at nonadev.net
Mon Sep 7 12:48:58 PDT 2015

Le Sat, 5 Sep 2015 04:17:54 -0500,
Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> a écrit :

(snip)

> It happens. Xavier similarly got pulled off. Consistently staffing the
> Smack stuff seems to be a bit of an issue.

Hi Rob,

the story isn't exactly the same. From your point of vue the effects
are looking the same. But I'm more involved in Smack and I'm interested
in staying involved particularly if smack would be used. That looks like
a bet. In the embedded world Smack is merely better than selinux. But
does it really care?

> Speaking of which, could somebody put the smack man pages online
> somewhere? Googling is not finding them, the closest I'm getting is
> stuff like:
>
> https://github.com/smack-team/smack/blob/master/debian/smack-utils.manpages

Yes this url https://github.com/smack-team/smack/tree/master/doc sounds
much better.

> Which is not helpful. (I'm trying to look up the maximum allowable
> size of a security label to see if the padding logic in ls -C will
> produce really ugly output in pathological cases. It looks like the
> answer is "yes", but since it involves your screen width being > 255
> before you have to care, it's probably not a real problem. Even on
> retina displays, that's probably beyond the point where you can find
> the start of a the next line when reading.)

Currently the maximum length is 255 and I guess that this limit will
not change. On Tizen, the wider smack labels were around 40
characters IIRC. That is a lot when you have to display it (ls or ps).

Best regards
José