[Toybox] ps and top (and Android)

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sun Apr 24 18:34:12 PDT 2016

On 04/24/2016 06:37 PM, dmccunney wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 24, 2016 at 7:11 PM, Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:
>
>> That said, there should be _A_ standard. Somewhere. LSB isn't it. Posix
>> is losing it. Maybe when we've finally got android self-hosting somebody
>> should document the minimal set of interfaces necessary to run the
>> build, or some such...
>
> POSIX is a start, but has been increasingly superseded by new
> developments.  Posix is useful as a list of things that possibly
> should be implemented, but may not be relevant as a guide to *how*
> they should be implemented.
>
> LSB isn't a standard.  "What does Ubuntu do?" isn't either, but it's
> about as close as you get to one.  Gnu is "How *not* to do it" these
> days.
>
> Think big.   Do it right, document it, and let *Toybox* set the standard.
>
> (No smiley, because I'm not joking.)

An implementation is not a standard.

That's how you get "word files" and "excel files" and web pages that
"run best in netscape or explorer". whatever weird behavior this thing
implements is what it should be doing, every little corner case is
sacred because there's no way to seperate implementation details from
specification.

That was one of my big objections to systemd:

http://landley.net/notes-2014.html#23-04-2014
http://landley.net/notes-2014.html#04-09-2014

Plane to tokyo time!