[Toybox] Fwd: [landley/toybox] Simple implementation of less (#39)

dmccunney dennis.mccunney at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 23:45:35 PDT 2016

On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 11:32 PM, David Seikel <onefang at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 17:39:25 -0500 Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:
>
>> > When you scroll the screen in less/vi it can have a huge impact on the speed
>> > if you're on 9600 or slower.
>>
>> Does that come up much these days?

<...>

> Other than that, no, I haven't seen that come up since the days of dial
> up modems.  Sure there's probably some tiny dollar chip that can't run
> any faster over a serial port, but I haven't had to deal with any this
> century, and it probably wouldn't have enough grunt to run toybox
> either.

I saw it back when on dumb terminals connecting via cable to serial
ports on multi-user servers (and once went through and switched all
the ports on a client's system from the 4800 factory default to 9600
to make it appear peppier to end users.)

But I don't see it as an issue for Toybox, given that it will display
in a terminal emulator running on the machine Toybox is on.  (If you
are a dev coming in remote via adb shell, you are still likely to have
a far faster connection.)
______
Dennis
https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519