[Toybox] Moving ps name fields around.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Jun 20 13:53:02 PDT 2016

On 06/20/2016 11:14 AM, enh wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 19, 2016 at 5:09 AM, Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:

>>> the netstat cleanup doesn't seem to have broken anything obvious either :-)
>>
>> You mean the first round of netstat cleanup didn't. :)
>
> okay, i'll keep an eye out :-)

I checked in a second and am working on a third. I hope to get this
promoted this week and move back to wget.

>> I also confirmed that expanding the window width doesn't affect the
>> ubuntu version's behavior: it's hardwired column sizes adding up to
>> 80 columns. (Actually 79. But it was worth a look...)
>
> ugh. given feedback internally and from lipi lee off-list -- basically
> everyone under the age of 65 thinks that netstat truncating addresses
> is a bug rather than a feature and when you tell them the workaround
> they wonder why -W isn't the default -- i was tempted to suggest we
> make -W the default.

I'm fine having -W be the default if you'd like...

> netstat is one of those commands (like readelf) where i just
> automatically type the -W. even when i *was* on a VT100, having
> correct output always seemed more useful than having short output. (at
> least GUIs that truncate tend to leave an ellipsis so you know they
> screwed you over.)

I have a todo item to make top and ps do that for the string fields, but
haven't yet becuase there's been enough churn there recently.

Anything else you wanted to add? (I noticed the busybox mailing list
mentioning adding a few new fields, but haven't looked at the man page
to see what they should do yet. I think two we already have?)