[Toybox] FreeBSD porting, removing bashisms

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Mar 29 22:27:45 PDT 2016

On 03/29/2016 09:56 PM, Zack Breckenridge wrote:
> So to actually follow through on something I've suggested on this list
> and because after going back through the thread I noticed the Linux
> emulation layer was already mentioned, I went ahead and tried to compile
> Toybox under Ubuntu 14.04 under Docker under FreeBSD, and was successful
> with:
>
> make defconfig
> make
> make install
>
> However 'make test' had perhaps a 30% failure rate and I'm not sure if
> this was due to Ubuntu, Docker, or FreeBSD.

I've got a lot of third party contributions to the test suite last year
that I never got a chance to clean up (I need to add the equivalent of a
pending directory to the test suite). So there's a lot of failures right
now even on Linux. I'm working through a couple large patches from Andy
Chu to clean up lots of that.

> Here's some sample error
> messages:

> FAIL: Hostname - Set, Get and then Reset
> ifconfig: ioctl 8913: Invalid argument
> ifconfig: ioctl 8913: Invalid argument
> FAIL: ifconfig dummy0 down and if config /-only
> ifconfig: ioctl 8913: Invalid argument

Ok, yeah, that category of error is presumably the emulation layer
having holes. (Same general idea as qemu userspace emulation not being
thorough for its first few years.)

> If there's any interest in continuing to test on this, I'd be glad to
> investigate further. Perhaps by trying with a different Linux
> implementation under emulation to start.

It is of interest, although I don't think you're going to fix ifconfig
by swapping distros. (That's an administrative command, probably the
host sets that up for you outside the container? There might be similar
problems with stuff like mount, dunno.)

What I'd like to do (at some point) is get freebsd running under kvm,
with this emulation layer and build environment, so I can try testing it
myself here.