[Toybox] FreeBSD porting, removing bashisms

Ed Maste emaste at freebsd.org
Wed Mar 30 05:02:05 PDT 2016

On 30 March 2016 at 03:37, Zack Breckenridge <zbrdge at gmail.com> wrote:
> One last thing to add to the above - as Ed said:
>
>> Yes, it's not used (or available) for native builds -- the syscalls
>> and ioctls aren't available in that case. The Linux emulation layer
>> would be used when running an unmodified Linux toybox binary. I'm
>> happy enough to just avoid building the Linux-specific tools for now.
>
> As you can see some of the error messages I encountered upon 'make test'
> under Linux emulation definitely showed some missing ioctls. However, I
> can't see how those particular commands and corresponding ioctls or syscalls
> won't be used by many Docker images in the wild, which FreeBSD intends to
> support.
>
> It definitely seems Toybox would make a great test suite for any Linux
> emulation framework on any platform that intends to build minimal support
> for most Linux userland binaries.

Historically the FreeBSD Linux emulation layer did not try to emulate
a full set of system administration interfaces, so ifconfig and such
won't work. But it will be interesting to categorize the ~30% failures
you saw, in order to help determine which areas of FreeBSD's linux
emulation would benefit from some work.