[Toybox] FreeBSD porting, removing bashisms

Ed Maste emaste at freebsd.org
Wed Mar 30 10:54:07 PDT 2016

On 30 March 2016 at 01:21, Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:

> I expect at least a third, probably more like half of the commands will
> have some sort of profound linuxism. (Just _glancing_ I see acpi, chcon,
> eject, fallocate, fsfreeze, hwclock, insmod, losetup, lsattr, lspci,
> lsusb, mix, nbd_client, nsenter, pivot_root, reboot, rfkill, sysctl,
> taskset...)

Fair enough, although for a native FreeBSD toybox most of those
Linux-specific tools are not that useful anyway. We'd presumably want
to create versions of FreeBSD's equivalents -- e.g. kldstat instead of
lsmod, etc. The most interesting to me are those that aren't
OS-specific -- the shell, cat, nl, wc, tar, etc.

With small changes 135 of the toys build on FreeBSD, although that
includes some that will certainly not work -- like the aforementioned
acpi. Running the tests produces 391 passes, 37 failures and 2 skipped
tests.