[Toybox] FreeBSD porting, removing bashisms

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed Mar 30 23:52:51 PDT 2016

On 03/30/2016 12:54 PM, Ed Maste wrote:
> On 30 March 2016 at 01:21, Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:
>>
>> I expect at least a third, probably more like half of the commands will
>> have some sort of profound linuxism. (Just _glancing_ I see acpi, chcon,
>> eject, fallocate, fsfreeze, hwclock, insmod, losetup, lsattr, lspci,
>> lsusb, mix, nbd_client, nsenter, pivot_root, reboot, rfkill, sysctl,
>> taskset...)
>
> Fair enough, although for a native FreeBSD toybox most of those
> Linux-specific tools are not that useful anyway. We'd presumably want
> to create versions of FreeBSD's equivalents -- e.g. kldstat instead of
> lsmod, etc. The most interesting to me are those that aren't
> OS-specific -- the shell, cat, nl, wc, tar, etc.

How do I set up a freebsd test build environment, preferably under a VM?

> With small changes 135 of the toys build on FreeBSD, although that
> includes some that will certainly not work -- like the aforementioned
> acpi. Running the tests produces 391 passes, 37 failures and 2 skipped
> tests.

Our test suite is very much a work in progress.

FYI I get on a plane tomorrow morning and don't get back to Austin until
late on the 7th, so I might not be snappy about responding this week.
That's not a statement of disinterest, that's just me traveling to
present at Flourish in Chicago and ELC in San Diego...