[Toybox] FreeBSD porting, removing bashisms

Zack Breckenridge zbrdge at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 00:07:06 PDT 2016

> How do I set up a freebsd test build environment, preferably under a VM?

The FreeBSD project now distributes VM images for installation/testing. For
example you can find some development branch snapshots here (for stable
branches just go up a few levels and find 10.x):

http://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/VM-IMAGES/11.0-CURRENT/amd64/20160308/

Notice there's a qcow2 image there for easy testing with KVM. You might
even be able to run a live environment and use pkgng ("pkg" command) to
grab gcc/clang etc. and then use "fetch" to pull down toybox.

One issue I've run into recently with FreeBSD under KVM was virtio block
devices being weirdly slow, so make sure to try and use scsi/ata emulation
instead (although this may no longer be an issue, YMMV).

I'll try and follow up with some more detailed specs -- actual commands
issued in Linux and such.

- Zack