[Toybox] FreeBSD porting, removing bashisms

Ed Maste emaste at freebsd.org
Thu Mar 31 09:57:11 PDT 2016

On 31 March 2016 at 03:07, Zack Breckenridge <zbrdge at gmail.com> wrote:
>> How do I set up a freebsd test build environment, preferably under a VM?
>
> The FreeBSD project now distributes VM images for installation/testing. For
> example you can find some development branch snapshots here (for stable
> branches just go up a few levels and find 10.x):
>
> http://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/VM-IMAGES/11.0-CURRENT/amd64/20160308/
>
> Notice there's a qcow2 image there for easy testing with KVM. You might even
> be able to run a live environment and use pkgng ("pkg" command) to grab
> gcc/clang etc. and then use "fetch" to pull down toybox.

The brief instructions I put together for developers of another
project to test on FreeBSD, on one of the snapshot VMs:

1. Log in as root on the console
2. Run "ifconfig -l" to list network interfaces The virtual nic will
likely be em0 or vtnet0 depending on the VM software.
3. Add to /etc/rc.conf (assuming vtnet0 interface here):

ifconfig_vtnet0="DHCP"
sshd_enable="YES"

4. Run pkg and answer Y to install the package management tool
5. Run pkg install git gcc gmake
6. Run adduser to create a user account
7. Run shutdown -r now to reboot
8. ssh to the VM as your user account

I included gcc in the pkg command above but you can leave it out and
just use the Clang in the base system. The brief experimentation I've
done with toybox is on FreeBSD 10, with Clang 3.4.1. If you use a
FreeBSD 11 snapshot from the link above you'll have Clang 3.8.