[Toybox] imgtec patch: Fix static linkage of toybox binary.

enh enh at google.com
Fri May 6 18:38:52 PDT 2016

On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 5:12 PM, Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:
> On 05/06/2016 02:56 PM, enh wrote:
>> On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 8:15 PM, Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:
>>> Applied, and that fetch+cherry-pick thing _also_ seems to avoid a
>>> gratuitous merge commit, which is very nice.
>>
>> it also has the happy side-effect (because you keep the gerrit
>> change-id line) of appearing in the UI as if the originally uploaded
>> change was merged when i do my command-line merge from github. so if i
>> hadn't told the imgtec guy i was sending this patch upstream first, as
>> far as he knows it just got submitted here.
>>
>> (i'll still keep pointing folks upstream though, because the community
>> of those fiddling with toybox should be around upstream, not AOSP or
>> whichever other downstream they happen to use personally.)
>
> I'm happy to make better use of git, so if you care about the history of
> a specific commit being preserved I can do that again.

not particularly. the main advantage for me is that it's less work to
just send you the appropriate link and copy/paste git command than to
cherrypick myself and git format-patch (when you're just going to have
to do the same on your end anyway) :-)

by strange coincidence, i have another one for you today: "Fix UB in
stack depth calculation."
(https://android-review.googlesource.com/223547)

git fetch https://android.googlesource.com/platform/external/toybox
refs/changes/47/223547/1 && git cherry-pick FETCH_HEAD

> But if people
> don't send me fixes I don't necessarily see them, and it's harder to
> discuss a pull request than a patch. (Plus I sometimes reply "not that
> way" and do a different fix/implementation, which is then awkward for
> the other tree. Cyanogenmod is going to have a fun week when I finally
> get around to going through their stuff.)
>
> (And I'm still not doing github integration. It's nice hosting for a
> mirror but when people comment on stuff there I don't necessarily see it
> either. I'm not usually logged into github, you don't need to be to push
> via ssh or wget the patch in the pull request and "git am" it. You DO
> need to be to close a pull request.)
>
> Still, yay I learned something,

Android native code/tools questions? Mail me/drop by/add me as a reviewer.