[Toybox] awk (Re: ps down, top to go)

dmccunney dennis.mccunney at gmail.com
Sun May 8 19:54:46 PDT 2016

On Sun, May 8, 2016 at 2:06 PM, Andy Chu <andychup at gmail.com> wrote:

> Kernighan Awk (updated 2012) - 8K lines.  Lucent BSD? license.  Yacc grammar.

According to the README in the source

"/****************************************************************
Copyright (C) Lucent Technologies 1997
All Rights Reserved

Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and
its documentation for any purpose and without fee is hereby
granted, provided that the above copyright notice appear in all
copies and that both that the copyright notice and this
permission notice and warranty disclaimer appear in supporting
documentation, and that the name Lucent Technologies or any of
its entities not be used in advertising or publicity pertaining
to distribution of the software without specific, written prior
permission.

LUCENT DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO THIS SOFTWARE,
INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS.
IN NO EVENT SHALL LUCENT OR ANY OF ITS ENTITIES BE LIABLE FOR ANY
SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES
WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER
IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION,
ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF
THIS SOFTWARE.
****************************************************************/

This looks usable in Toybox to me.

Brian is a professor of computer science at Princeton these days.  The
current source resides on his Princeton server, at
http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~bwk/btl.mirror/index.html  He can be
reached at bwk at cs.princeton.edu

> I'm guessing it's not possible for toybox to borrow code from it
> because of the license, but I wonder about the Lucent license.  The
>lexer is 582 lines of clean looking C code (it's Kernighan, so I guess
> we all know his style :) ), which is not insignificant!

I asked Kernighan, and got the following reply:

<quote>
Hi, Dennis --

IANAL, of course, but I certainly would have no objection, and I
suspect there is no one left at Lucent (now Alcatel now Nokia)
who would even know this program existed, let alone care.  Whether
it's the best code is an entirely different issue -- it's pretty
grimy inside.  The main merit is that it isn't very big (but neither
was the busybox version if I recall).
</quote>

*He* certainly wouldn't mind.  :-)
______