[Toybox] Android O: XARGS - bad system call

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Apr 17 10:47:28 PDT 2017

On 04/16/2017 04:36 AM, darken wrote:
> FYI (but I think you CCed yourself on the issue ticket right?)
>
> Copying the system toybox into my app makes it work.
> So it seems to be related to how the system toybox is build (NDK
> toolchain?) and my toybox is build (musl libc).

Eh, that might just be kernel .config. There are a lot of duplicate
system calls that accumulated over the years (blah/blah64, open/openat,
mmap/mmap2...) and you can configure a bunch of them out

Don't ask me why the 4.11.0-rc7 menuconfig's "General setup" menu has
config options for bpf, madvise/fadvise, userfaultfd, membarrier... Why
are these NOT in the "embedded system" submenu? Enabling a _system_call_
is not enabling lots of infrastructure. It's micromanaging the API. Sigh...

You can find a static armv5l strace binary (from the dawn of time) at:

http://landley.net/aboriginal/downloads/old/binaries/1.4.3/extras/strace-armv5l

I've end of lifed aboriginal linux and am working on turning
https://github.com/landley/mkroot into a replacement, but it's not there
yet. Still, old binary might work. (Haven't tried it under an android
kernel.)

I also have a todo item to turn
https://blog.nelhage.com/2010/08/write-yourself-an-strace-in-70-lines-of-code/
and some build-time header preprocessing ala
http://landley.net/notes.html#18-02-2017 into a simple strace for toybox.

It's on the todo list...