[Toybox] Android O: XARGS - bad system call

enh enh at google.com
Mon Apr 17 10:50:22 PDT 2017

in O apps (and their children) are in a seccomp sandbox. if you use a
system call that bionic doesn't use (such as in this case, the obsolete
fork system call), you will run into things like this. the specific case of
fork was used enough in apps that the security folks added it to a
whitelist, so all O releases later than the first developer preview should
allow it.

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 10:47 AM, Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:

> On 04/16/2017 04:36 AM, darken wrote:
> > FYI (but I think you CCed yourself on the issue ticket right?)
> >
> > Copying the system toybox into my app makes it work.
> > So it seems to be related to how the system toybox is build (NDK
> > toolchain?) and my toybox is build (musl libc).
>
> Eh, that might just be kernel .config. There are a lot of duplicate
> system calls that accumulated over the years (blah/blah64, open/openat,
> mmap/mmap2...) and you can configure a bunch of them out
>
> Don't ask me why the 4.11.0-rc7 menuconfig's "General setup" menu has
> config options for bpf, madvise/fadvise, userfaultfd, membarrier... Why
> are these NOT in the "embedded system" submenu? Enabling a _system_call_
> is not enabling lots of infrastructure. It's micromanaging the API. Sigh...
>
> You can find a static armv5l strace binary (from the dawn of time) at:
>
> http://landley.net/aboriginal/downloads/old/binaries/1.4.3/
> extras/strace-armv5l
>
> I've end of lifed aboriginal linux and am working on turning
> https://github.com/landley/mkroot into a replacement, but it's not there
> yet. Still, old binary might work. (Haven't tried it under an android
> kernel.)
>
> I also have a todo item to turn
> https://blog.nelhage.com/2010/08/write-yourself-an-strace-
> in-70-lines-of-code/
> and some build-time header preprocessing ala
> http://landley.net/notes.html#18-02-2017 into a simple strace for toybox.
>
> It's on the todo list...

Android native code/tools questions? Mail me/drop by/add me as a reviewer.