[Toybox] [landley/toybox] busybox.exe for MSWindows is available, but not toybox.exe for MSWindows (#61)

dmccunney dennis.mccunney at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 13:26:37 PST 2017

On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 10:57 PM, Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:
> On 01/21/2017 09:10 PM, zaxebo1 wrote:
>> busybox compiled for ms windows is available at
>> https://frippery.org/busybox/
>> https://github.com/rmyorston/busybox-w32
>>
>> but i do not find any such binary for toybox. Is toybox not
>> compilable/ported to MSwindows?
>
> Microsoft runs Ubuntu binaries now, just run the Linux version.

If you are running a current Win10 build.

But if you are running Windows, I'm not sure why you would want Toybox
*or* Busybox.

There are Win32 ports of most of the Gnu/Linux CLI utilities, and just
run the full versions.  The ones I use these days are from a Windows
port of Git, but others exist.  I've been using Win32 versions of *nix
utilities since the Win9X days (and other versions in the MSDOS/Win3.X
days).

Toybox/Busybox are just the thing for low resource environments where
space taken by them is a constraint.  I have a flavor of Linux here
which ships with Busybox as the standard CLI utilities precisely
because it's intended for low end systems.  Disk is cheap and getting
cheaper, so resource constraints won't be a factor.  (At the point
where Toybox reaches a 1.0 release, I think I'll push the Linux distro
I mentioned to bundle it *instead* of Busybox.)

> Rob
______
Dennis
https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519