[Toybox] [RFC] ktls is in 4.13.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Sep 5 03:33:19 PDT 2017

On 09/04/2017 08:22 PM, Robert Thompson wrote:
> From the toybox point of view, wouldn't this introduce direct link
> dependency on ssl/tls libraries?

There's already an optional dependency to accelerate hash calculations
(CONFIG_TOYBOX_LIBCRYPTO), and another to accelerate zlib, so I'm ok
with having that as an optional dependency.

Having functionality you can _only_ get by linking that in is a much
bigger ask. I want a self-contained system bootstrap build and/or
hermetic build with minimal dependencies.

So ideally I'd want the part of tls negotiation the kernel doesn't do
implemented in toybox code, but I dunno how much that is yet...

> If that's acceptable, the ktls stuff looks like a simple addition (on
> top of base in-toybox tls) with potential performance improvements, once
> the code settles down.

Another thing is this adds a kernel version dependency, so I'd want a
compile time probe for "is support there in this build environment"
because http://landley.net/toybox/faq.html#support_horizon

That said, my plan to spend the evening grinding on the toybox todo list
seamlessly transitioned into hours analyzing GPS code and traces trying
to figure out where the race condition is in the response to the
correlator output (answer: there's two _different_ problems), so... :P