[Toybox] getconf NPROCESSORS_ONLN broken

enh enh at google.com
Fri Oct 5 16:39:43 PDT 2018

On Fri, Oct 5, 2018 at 2:51 PM Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:

> On 10/05/2018 02:54 PM, enh wrote:
> >> In terms of eliminating unnecessary build plumbing, the tagged array stuff
> >> (scripts/mktags.c) is the other big chunk of preprocessing, which is really
> >> there to make a combined array/enum construct where you have a string name for
> >> each entry _and_ a symbol of the same name resolving to the index of that entry
> >> in the array. I would LOVE a way to do this with macros instead. (I can
> >> stringify, but how do I get an increasing symbol number that goes up by one each
> >> time it's referenced? I'd need INCREMENT(previous) to nest +1+1+1+1 and it's not
> >> obvious how, which is prsumably why gcc has a __COUNTER__ macro, which is fiddly
> >> and which I dunno if llvm implements it...
> >
> > i'm kind of resigned to having to explicitly build the help, flags,
> > and arrays binaries and run them, and they all seem like they're
> > pulling their weight anyway. i just don't want to encourage too much
> > random other stuff, because i need to replicate all your shell scripts
> > in soong.
>
> What does "replicating in soong" mean here? [googles...]
>
> https://android.googlesource.com/platform/build/soong/
>
> "The build logic is written in go using the blueprint framework."
>
> You're using go as your build scripting language?

hopefully not. there are genrules, but they require us to be honest
and specific about what's going on.

> >> (I can also break up make.sh into multiple smaller scripts if that would help...?)
> >
> > no, i'm after "less overall" rather than "smaller chunks". stuff like
> > library probes and the like are fine, because that's just hard-coded
> > for me anyway.
>
> I was thinking it might help triage what's there and evaulate what's necessary.

thinking about it more, breaking it down into smaller scripts probably
would help.

> I'm all for removing unecessary stuff, on general principles. Unfortunately,
> when I wrote plumbing it's usually because I couldn't figure out how to get away
> with not doing it.

well, for the specific case of getconf it turns out that reality is
far uglier than either of us could have predicted, so automation
wasn't likely to help us anyway. sadly whoever went first didn't
automate, so there's all kinds of random nonsense for us to copy. (see
other patch.)