[Toybox] Finally being forced off gmail...

David Seikel onefang_toybox at dave.isageek.net
Tue Dec 17 14:57:32 PST 2019

I didn't get that email, but I'm not using G Suite.

On 2019-12-17 15:38:30, Rob Landley wrote:
> Sometime between now and Feb 15 I need to move my email off gmail because pop3
> support is joining the Google Graveyard (at least that's how I read the attached
> email). I'll probably switch it to use dreamhost's servers, but just letting you
> know I may be incommunicado for a bit (and maybe lose some email in the switch).

BTW, the email says "June 15, 2020" and "February 15, 2021", not Feb 15
2020, so you might not have to spend your holidays dealing with this.

They specifically mention IMAP, so my guess is they mean POP3 as well.

I've been encouraging people to move off Google email and chat systems
for some time.  I still have one set of mailing lists on gmail, the rest
I moved long ago.  I was surprised at how easy it was to move my "hates
change, is computer illiterate" girlfriend to switch to Signal, she loved
it the moment she found out how easy it was to share photos.  Google
Hangouts moving to the Graveyard encouraged her to do things my way this
time.  Now she has switched her family members to it as well.

>    Note: If the app you are using does not support OAuth, you will need to
>    [13]switch to an app that offers OAuth, or ask your admin to contact the
>    supplier of your app and request that they add OAuth as a way of
>    connecting your Google account.

I currently use fetchmail to pull things off gmail via POP3.  Alas it
doesn't seem to support OAuth, a quick grep trough the man page didn't
find it.  I've had zero problems with fetchmail, I don't really want to
go searching for an alternative.  I wont miss the regular "some one evil
tried to access your email, we blocked them" emails I get from Google coz
I'm using a "less secure access app", and then having to unblock myself.

Now I have a deadline for fully moving off gmail.

I'm part way through moving all my stuff to my own server, off other
peoples computers, coz other people keep pulling this crap on me.  I
never liked "The Cloud" for exactly this reason.