[Toybox] Hosted FreeBSD CI for toybox

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Jan 21 11:03:42 PST 2019

On 1/21/19 12:28 PM, Ed Maste wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 at 14:09, Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:
>> I checked in the
>> freebsd_miniconfig this morning...
>
> Thanks for that, I'm using it in my .cirrus.yml. One thing I noticed
> is that "gmake tests" doesn't provide an exit status indicating
> success or failure.

*shrug* Not sure what the desired behavior is here? (Open to suggestions?)

The environment variable VERBOSE controls test behavior, VERBOSE=1 shows the
command line it ran and the diff between actual/expected for each failure,
VEBOSE=fail stops at the first failure. I mostly use it interactively with
VERBOSE=fail (and compare with TEST_HOST=1 which says to test the host version
from the $PATH instead of the toybox version of the command).

I only added the "executable bit says which tests are expected to pass and which
ones aren't" stuff a month or two back. I have a lot of todo item tests, and a
whole lot more tests I need to _add_. Like Documentation, the test suite is
capable of absorbing a _huge_ amount of time/effort...

(And at the intersection of the two, I see I have a
http://landley.net/toybox/code.html#tests link from the infrastructure section
of that page, but the anchor doesn't go anywhere and if you scroll to the end
the section is missing. :P )

>> I have a lot of tests I don't necessarily run every week, but try to run before
>> each (quarterly) release and fix up what I find. (If you wonder why releases
>> tend to run a bit late...)
>
> Indeed - the benefit of a CI service like this is the immediate
> feedback. I'll add a Linux build to the mix so that I can ensure my
> WIP changes don't introduce regressions there. In any case I can just
> leave it in my tree.

If your tree is public, can you point me at it again?

Thanks,