[Toybox] dd in toybox?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Jul 8 23:56:31 PDT 2019

On 7/8/19 10:41 PM, scsijon wrote:
> I was wondering if you would consider adding parts of ddfldd
> (https://linuxx.info/dcfldd/, https://linux.die.net/man/1/dcfldd and
> http://dcfldd.sourceforge.net/) rather than having just the ordinary dd 'bits'
> to your dd implementation if possible?

What specific feature(s) are you asking for?

> I know it's not new, but the extra
> operands "pattern, textpattern and errlog" at least seem to be somewhat more
> than just clearly usefull, with maybe the pair "hash and hashwindow" also if
> possible.

Um...

> dcfldd is a newer version of dccifd, is functionally the same, but in parallel
> able to calculate checksum using hashing algorithms are MD5, SHA-1 and SHA-2,
> while it extends partially (by subscription).

This differs from piping it through sha1sum how? Never having used this, it's
not immediately obvious how or why to...

> Or do you have some other way we can deal with these combined
> functions easily?

Pipelines? This is why Doug McIlroy suggested the pipe operator somewhere around
1973?

  yes "hello" | dd

> And as usual, i'll state that i'm not a coder nowadays, just a builder with a 3d
> perspective outlook, I can't give you a patch, just an idea for someone to work
> with. :-)}

Could you give me some usage examples?