[Toybox] toybox 0.8.1 is out.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Jun 3 16:47:48 PDT 2019

On 6/3/19 4:54 PM, makepost wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 03, 2019 at 02:43:23PM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
>> I just haven't done it yet because I really shouldn't _have_ to (and it works
>> for file:/// !). I'm wondering if I can stick something into .htconfig and have
>> it apply to all files in the directory or something...
>
> AddDefaultCharset UTF-8 in .htaccess, unless your hosting provider puts
> a reverse proxy for static files in front of Apache, in that case there
> should be a checkbox in its control panel.

Aha! There we go. Seems to have worked.

Thanks.

>> (I actually can do stylesheets and javascript
>
> Please don't, your sites are how most should be.

I have gotten a _bit_ fancier in the past, such as:

  https://landley.net/aboriginal/about.html

But yeah, those aren't using javascript and stylesheets because it's unnecessary
complexity and bit-rot waiting to happen for simple static data that blind
people can text to speech and should go through google translate just fine...

>> I'm just annoyed at browsers in general for not supporting utf-8 by default in
>> 2019? It became the most popular encoding a decade ago
>> (https://www.w3.org/QA/2008/05/utf8-web-growth) and is now on over 90%
>> penetration (https://w3techs.com/technologies/details/en-utf8/all/all).
>
> HTTP/1.0 standard allowed clients to guess the encoding, but HTTP/1.1
> calls that incorrect and instructs to force ISO-8859-1 unless the server
> mentions another charset as part of the MIME content type.
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2616

ISO-8859-1 is the DOS 8.3 of encodings. It can go now.