[Toybox] toybox 0.8.1 is out.

makepost makepost at firemail.cc
Mon Jun 3 14:54:26 PDT 2019

On Mon, Jun 03, 2019 at 02:43:23PM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
> I just haven't done it yet because I really shouldn't _have_ to (and it works
> for file:/// !). I'm wondering if I can stick something into .htconfig and have
> it apply to all files in the directory or something...

AddDefaultCharset UTF-8 in .htaccess, unless your hosting provider puts
a reverse proxy for static files in front of Apache, in that case there
should be a checkbox in its control panel.

> (I actually can do stylesheets and javascript

Please don't, your sites are how most should be.

> I'm just annoyed at browsers in general for not supporting utf-8 by default in
> 2019? It became the most popular encoding a decade ago
> (https://www.w3.org/QA/2008/05/utf8-web-growth) and is now on over 90%
> penetration (https://w3techs.com/technologies/details/en-utf8/all/all).

HTTP/1.0 standard allowed clients to guess the encoding, but HTTP/1.1
calls that incorrect and instructs to force ISO-8859-1 unless the server
mentions another charset as part of the MIME content type.
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2616