[Toybox] toybox 0.8.1 is out.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Jun 3 12:43:23 PDT 2019

On 6/3/19 12:27 PM, enh wrote:
> the news.html file checked in looks fine, but there's mojibake on the
> website for contributors with non-ASCII names...

Yeah, there was a thread on twitter about that:

https://twitter.com/RichFelker/status/1134144004088573955

It's 2019 and I have to add a meta= tag to let the browser know it's utf8. I
expect firefox to be that broken, but I was _disappointed_ that chrome has that
problem too.

> i did notice an error in the checked-in file that makes a paragraph
> disappear on the web, though,

What _I_ noticed right after I uploaded it is I didn't update the news entry
date from when I started writing it to when I actually released it. And since
the date is the news anchor I linked to in the URL, fixing it afterwards would
be awkward. :P

> plus the BSD/Mac claim is backwards from
> reality. fixes attached. (but not for the mojibake because i don't
> know where that's coming from.)

I know the fix:

https://twitter.com/landley/status/1133981520379691008

I just haven't done it yet because I really shouldn't _have_ to (and it works
for file:/// !). I'm wondering if I can stick something into .htconfig and have
it apply to all files in the directory or something...

(I actually can do stylesheets and javascript and stuff when I start from
skeleton files and have the references open in front of me, but as with the
kernel that's domain expertise you wander away from for 6 months and they've
changed the best practices out from under you again. I follow people like
https://twitter.com/una on twitter who do it full time and know all the tricks
and just Don't Go There in my hobby projects because I know how much of a
timesink it can be.)

But yeah, I can cut and paste in the meta-equiv line from that second tweet URL.
I'm just annoyed at browsers in general for not supporting utf-8 by default in
2019? It became the most popular encoding a decade ago
(https://www.w3.org/QA/2008/05/utf8-web-growth) and is now on over 90%
penetration (https://w3techs.com/technologies/details/en-utf8/all/all).

Grumble grumble...