[Toybox] Fwd: Re: Fwd: build help please with toybox

scsijon scsijon at lamiaworks.com.au
Fri Nov 22 21:43:08 PST 2019

Maybe one for Rob I fear? Sorry. Bottom posted.

On 23/11/19 13:58, scsijon wrote:

> [...]

Well, building a kernel-toybox-syslinux seemed to go well, no errors,
and the iso was considerably smaller (9380K) vs busybox's (10316K)
although some will be the updated kernel so a real equivalent size would
be smaller again I think.

However it looks like when loading it fails at the init stage.

The error is at starting the /init script's seven lines at startup.

The init script first>

----/init--747--root-root----
#!/bin/sh
dmesg -n 1
mount -t devtmpfs none /dev
mount -t proc none /proc
mount -t sysfs none /sys
setsid cttyhack /bin/sh

--------empty line at end----------

startup script seems ok to here<

Errors from here>

Run /init as init process
Failed to execute /init (error -2)
Run /sbin/init as init process
Run /etc/init as init process
Run /bin/init as init process
Run /bin/sh as init process
Kernel Panic - not syncing: No working init found. ~

and on it panics

?Is there a problem with toybox's init please Rob?, the script builds ok
and init works ok in busybox's version or is toybox's init not quite the
same or ready yet?

I've attached the alpha build script I used to create the iso in case it
is of interest or help. It has the source site in its # ref's.

Mine was built on a EasyOS 2.1.8 (Debian Buster x86_64 base) of BarryK's
as the EasyOS 1.2.8 (O.E. Pyro) and Quirky Ubuntu had apparently too old
a gcc version to build.

  Not bad for 3 packages to get a simple shell system up.