[Toybox] Fwd: build help please with toybox

scsijon scsijon at lamiaworks.com.au
Sat Nov 23 19:03:50 PST 2019

On 24/11/19 03:45, Rob Landley wrote:
> On 11/22/19 7:22 PM, scsijon wrote:
>> On 23/11/19 09:56, scsijon wrote:
>>> thanks for the help

>>> and i'm in a Quirky named Xenial Xerus (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).
>>> libc and libc6 both v2.23 at /lib/x86_64-gnu-linux and
>>> /usr/include/x86_64-gnu-linux;
>>> linux headers and kernel are v4.4.44 if of interest;
>>> ?maybe to old?
>>
>> And trying with Open Embeded fails with an error relating to gcc being too old
>> at 6.3.0!
>
> I built toybox with gcc 4.2.1 earlier this week.

There was a note from Denys relating to ubuntu not including gcc headers
and he couldn't find them in other related packages, so that may explain
the problems from that point. OE is moot and with a similar although
better output I expect it's the same sort of problem.

>> I'm trying a deb buster with a 8.3.0 next, my last alternative, damn I
>> wanted one of these to work (preferably the first),beginning to think this may
>> be a bust of a way to build something simple and very minimal from scratch.
>
> You've seen scripts/mkroot.sh?

I have now, sorry too complex for what I'm thinking at present, but may
use it after i've started to sort out what I "really want it to do",
rather than "I think I would like it to be able to do it this way".

Got 3 projects 'floating in the air' at present, (sound familiar
anyone,) and this is the 'new' one and it's very airy-fairy at this
point. It's come out of my musl/clang/llvm-no_gcc_etc project in a
fourth dimension direction, not even talkable to myself at the moment,
just a hash of ideas.

regards
scsijon