[Toybox] Fwd: hexedit uses VT-420 scroll ctrl sequences which dont work on tty1

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed Oct 2 10:49:59 PDT 2019

On 9/30/19 4:20 PM, Robert Thompson wrote:
> (I didn't CC the list to avoid provoking irrelevant discussion, but you can do
> whatever)

I put discussion on the list when I can because I won't be able to find it again
otherwise. :)

> I think 95% of the benefit of screen could be had for 5% of the work,

Yeah, I thought so too, but apparently others don't. *shrug*.

> It seems that screen has somehow kind of turned into a religion in the last few
> years, and tmux is where all the protestants/heretics went. I've recently seen
> screenrc files that remind me of emacs libraries...

I wasn't planning on implementing .screenrc support. I was just gonna Do The
Thing and wait for people to complain, but people complained before I'd even
done it saying it has to be 10x bigger so I'm not doing it.

I use ctrl-a c, ctrl-a k, ctrl-a ? to list them, Ctrl-a " to see backscroll,
Ctrl-a and a digit to jump to a thing, and ctrl-a d to detach. And then the
command line argument to reattach, but I just tried to man screen to see what
that was (something like -Rd or -Wr or something?) but it turns out in the
month+ since I reinstalled this laptop (after the hard drive crash), I haven't
bothered to reinstall screen yet. :)

> If you remove all the complicated bits from screen, you get something like
> http://dtach.sourceforge.net/ which seems like a better fit for toybox than any
> screen that would satisfy non-casual screen users.

External projects are almost never under a public domain equivalent license. If
I merge in Apache or MIT licensed code I need to put a copy of the apache or MIT
license at the top of the source tarball, and then the stuttering problem's
back. (Not gonna do it.)

> (I've never used dtach seriously, it's just an example that I am aware of).

Let's see...

and it's GPLv2. That's sane, but I'm not merging it here. Seems small and simple
from what I can pull up on my phone though. (I'm in canada, can't tether here
and I'm out away from the wireless at the moment.)

> Term emulation, multiplexing, multiple attachers to same session, etc could
> easily be layered on top later if needed.

Oh sure. I'm not worried about my ability to implement it what I was _planning_
to implement, but the bikeshedding killed my interest and convinced me it's out
of scope for toybox.

If toybox ever becomes my $DAYJOB I might reconsider, but so far Google has
given me the "Open Source Award" twice ($250 gift card each time, the second of
which I still haven't activated), and sent me a very fluffy blanket.

I'm trying to get a self-hosting system working, and the main blocker for that
is the shell, make, probably awk, figuring out how to bootstrap "ninja" (if I
need to use make to build cmake to build ninja to build whatever's on top of
ninja: fine. Said in the same tone of voice as at 8:20 in
https://youtu.be/PRwsXnBQaEo).