[Toybox] Toybox and musl/clang

scsijon scsijon at lamiaworks.com.au
Wed Oct 2 14:31:59 PDT 2019

On 03/10/19 03:50, Rob Landley wrote:
> On 10/1/19 5:07 PM, scsijon wrote:
>> Before I start my next T2 build for Puppy quirky, I'm planning at using the
>> musl/clang variation, I thought i'd take on replacing busybox totally with
>> toybox and see what happens, or can you see something in toybox that might stop
>> me using it alone and have to do a busybox plus toybox?
>
> Of the commands that aren't in pending, no. If I was aware of anything that
> prevented them from replacing other versions, they'd be in pending.
>
> The problem is missing commands, sh being the biggest one. (I'd say sh is maybe
> 1/3 done? It parses redirects but doesn't do them, it can assign environment
> variables but won't expand them in arguments, etc.)
>
> According to the status page's "development" section, these commands were needed
> by aboriginal linux once upon a time, and are missing:
>
> awk dd diff expr fdisk gzip sh tr wget less dnsdomainname ftpd init less mdev
> route vi resize2fs tune2fs fsck.ext2 genext2fs mke2fs xzcat
>
> (Several of them are in pending, but I wouldn't trust them yet.)
>
> I also note that I'm currently fixing tar's ability to read old tarballs with
> varying format stuff. (My torture test is genext2fs-1.4.1.tar.gz .) So you
> probably want to use a current git snapshot (which is more or less what should
> be in the next release, which is several weeks late already...)
>
> Rob

OK, thanks Rob,

In this case, I think for now i'd best do in two steps, by installing
busybox first and overlaying it with toybox, then the toybox commands
that exist will replace the busybox ones. That which I do, when at a
later stage of release, well it is a quirky build afterall! A number of
the missing commands are used, but at least three are using a full
package, so i'll decide later!

thanks again

scsijon