[Toybox] Toybox Installer/setup routine?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sat Sep 7 18:17:37 PDT 2019

On 9/3/19 1:18 PM, scsijon wrote:

>>> Those last two are on the todo list. But after toysh and route, which mkroot
>>> needs. (And vi might be after make, and promoting half the stuff currently in
>>> pending.)
>>
>> Implementing sh and make would definitely be most useful, as nobody has yet
>> written light build tools ready to drop in place of GNU monopoly. The weakest
>> bootstrap link would next be a subset of cmake interpreter enough to build
>> LLVM. While existing awks and editors with simple license are okay.
>>
> And if your doing make you also should be doing the config(ure) stage,

Hell no? I am not implementing autoconf in toybox.

And autoconf's a shell script generator anyway. The resulting shell script calls
the toybox commands, and that's how I got into this mess in the first place:

http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/busybox/2004-May/011538.html

> but with
> the configure / make commands needing to be pulling in all those variable
> switches from your system and not require you to work out what it wants each
> time. It's a pet bug as far as i'm concerned that we live with, with each
> program seeming to want some different ones and some even use different switch
> names to do the same thing. And that IS a whole lot of worms. I'm not sure that
> even Rob would dare to open that can of worms.

I linked to my years-old configure/make/install rant (in two parts) in a message
a few days ago (your emails to me were caught up in gmail's insane spam filter,
which I didn't check until earlier today).