[Toybox] Toybox Installer/setup routine?

scsijon scsijon at lamiaworks.com.au
Sat Sep 7 23:40:50 PDT 2019

On 08/09/19 11:17, Rob Landley wrote:

>>> Implementing sh and make would definitely be most useful, as nobody has yet
>>> written light build tools ready to drop in place of GNU monopoly. The weakest
>>> bootstrap link would next be a subset of cmake interpreter enough to build
>>> LLVM. While existing awks and editors with simple license are okay.
>>>
>> And if your doing make you also should be doing the config(ure) stage,
>
> Hell no? I am not implementing autoconf in toybox.

That's sort of what I meant, but if your doing your own make, shouldn't
you at least deal with a basic configure script as well (and I don't
mean those fancy things that seem to be turning up with regularity at
present)?

> And autoconf's a shell script generator anyway. The resulting shell script calls
> the toybox commands, and that's how I got into this mess in the first place:
>
> http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/busybox/2004-May/011538.html
>
>> but with
>> the configure / make commands needing to be pulling in all those variable
>> switches from your system and not require you to work out what it wants each
>> time. It's a pet bug as far as i'm concerned that we live with, with each
>> program seeming to want some different ones and some even use different switch
>> names to do the same thing. And that IS a whole lot of worms. I'm not sure that
>> even Rob would dare to open that can of worms.
>
> I linked to my years-old configure/make/install rant (in two parts) in a message
> a few days ago (your emails to me were caught up in gmail's insane spam filter,
> which I didn't check until earlier today).

Maybe it's time to bite the bullet and take a ?couple of days and move
off gmail. What about a simple system on your webserver, there's enough
of them around to do a test run at least.