[Toybox] Request for two commands to be added to toybox please.

scsijon scsijon at lamiaworks.com.au
Fri Sep 13 00:53:35 PDT 2019

sorry for the delay, but I wanted to think how to respond, I have
changed my ideas slightly since there is a key identification problem,
and I hope it still makes some sense.

On 10/09/19 11:35, Rob Landley wrote:

> On 9/9/19 3:29 AM, scsijon wrote:
>> You did ask for submissions for '?possibly missing?' commands!
>>
>> Can I ask for these two to be considered to be added to your 'todo' list please?
>>
>> showkey - which shows what's assigned to a specific pressed key (usually octal,
>> but could be multi-byte hexidecimal or even a character stream on some keyboards).
>
> Modulo x11 getting in the way (it reads this for you and passes on processed
> data), and serial consoles not providing this info so it almost never coming up
> anymore (you have to be at a VGA text console to run this). But I remember
> wandering through the ioctls at some point...
>
>> and
>>
>> setkey (modified busybox setkeycodes) - matching showkey to allow multi-byte
>> assignments under a key combination (and not just busybox's single octal, as
>> with their setkeycodes).
>
> I never used this busybox command, but again I've read the ioctls and there was
> another implementation of this a long time ago I downloaded out of curiosity
> years and years ago...
>
> Ah yes, man 4 console_codes, KDSETKEYCODE from #include <linux/kd.h>
>
> Could you send me some example usage for the test suite?

Is there any way of getting around this problem Rob?, as I don't think
setkey without showkey is going to be able to work properly? showkey
would be needed to be used to identify the key to be able to have it's
output changed from the default keypress.

A standard process would be something like>

#showkey <press the wanted key>
#keypress 61 press
#keypress 61 release
#
#setkey 61 <alt>3geany<ctl>+n

Firstly, You identify the key you want to set a response change for by
the command showkey and pressing the key.
Secondly, It replies with two lines, one with the octal for the key
press and one for the octal for the key release (I vaguely remember that
once upon a time codes could be different on the old vt terminals so
both were shown).
Thirdly, You would assign what you want to happen to the key (in this
case i've changed desktop windows from whichever i'm in to desktop
window3, started the Geany text Editor application, and told it to start
in a new window.

It could just as easily in a logged in terminal to be to start vi,
filename as date-time, start as insert.

I'm also thinking this could be expanded to even be different in each
desktop window, (if we were masocastic enough, you could really go mad,)
so that depending on what's available would depend on what shortcuts
were available.

Like in my case I usually have four windows available on my General
Workstation, a - applications running, b - background(ed) tasks, c -
communications (browser, mail, chat, downloader..., d - diary, working
task system (tracker while building so I can do a 'step-back' without
too much trouble, and My Journal. Sort of been this way since year dot
with me, with individual terminals back at the start.

>> O.T. I do miss your aborigonal, I still have a working .pet you helped me setup
>> from back then. It can still be chroot'd into on our 32bit Puppies.
>
> I plan to turn mkroot into a proper full replacement for that, I'm just juggling
> too many balls. (Today I'm wrestling with shell variable expansion, which is
> recursive even _before_ you add quoting into it.)

I understood that was your direction, no pressure, just a bit of
wishfull thinking out aloud.

I know it's hard, but try to get a few early nights each week, I know
it's hard, as I am certainly working harder and longer since I retired
than planned for, and it's not going to get easier until I force myself
to drop things which i'm reluctant to do as others use what I create.

> Rob

scsijon