[Toybox] Editor for toybox?

dmccunney dennis.mccunney at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 21:37:05 PDT 2019

On Mon, Sep 23, 2019 at 7:50 PM scsijon <scsijon at lamiaworks.com.au> wrote:

> Do I remember you considering adding a multi-purpose editor into
> toybox?, one of our puppy folk came across SUE which origonated from VDE
> back in 1982 which was created by Richard Forbes.

Not exactly.  Richard Forbes wrote a CP/M  editor called VDO.  Eric
Meyer picked up the source and extended it to become VDE.   VDE was
intended to be a WordStar clone implemented as a single executable.
(Real WordStar for CP/M used overlays.)  In 1987, Eric shifted
development to MSDOS.  Carson Wilson continued development of VDE on
CP/M as ZDE.

Bill Kuykendall wanted a Linux editor that wasn't vi or emacs.  He
hired Carson to write a version of VDE for Linux, which Carson did in
C.  The result was SUE (Simple Unix Editor).

I uploaded the copy you found  on the Puppy site.  I also maintain
VDE's current home page, at
https://sites.google.com/site/vdeeditor/Home/.  The section devoted to
SUE is at https://sites.google.com/site/vdeeditor/Home/vde-files/sue-history,
and you can get binary and and source there too.

If you like the WordStar interface, it's worth a look, but it's not
clear it should  become a Toxbox toy.  (I'd love to see it get Rob's
optimizations, but I'd like a completed Toybox 1.0 more.)
______
Dennis