[Toybox] Horrible microsoft github tests spamming me.

enh enh at google.com
Wed Aug 5 08:45:44 PDT 2020

On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 8:40 PM Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >> I got email about https://github.com/landley/toybox/runs/940149373 in which one
> >> of the cpio tests spuriously failed. I cannot cut and paste the failure because
> >> microsoft github's crammed so much javascript into the reporting page that
> >> doesn't work.
> >>
> >> The last time cpio.c changed was april, the last time tests/cpio.test changed
> >> was may, and the last time lib/* or any of the scripts/test plumbing changed was
> >> June.
> >>
> >> The test failed for non-obvious reasons which look like a shell race condition
> >> with | or something? The test is doing a dd to grab a specific byte offset out
> >> of the file. and the chunk it's looking at starts 8 bytes too early to get a
> >> match with what it expects. Is this a dd problem? Is the file longer with
> >> spurious crap inserted earlier in it? Did the container's | insert extra data?
> >> Who knows, I haven't a clue how to dig any of the build artifacts out of this
> >> mess, but I got email about it.
> >
> > yeah, this is where i've been for years with the "found by Android CI"
> > bugs. one thing i can say is that i'm _not_ seeing this on Android's
> > CI. (an obvious difference there is that we use toybox dd!)
>
> I tend to have thing | thing rather than checkpointing temporary files so I
> don't have to clean up the temp files. What I really need to do is make the test
> self-cleaning between invocations (which means run test rather than source test,
> which means export variables that need exporting, which isn't a big deal it's
> just a todo item a bit down on the list)...
>
> But "thing > file && thing < file" does let you examine the intermediate parts
> after a failure better. I just don't assume suprious failures on the part of
> _my_ infrastructure (outside of pending). I do, sadly, assume spurious failures
> on the part of ubuntu crap because I've hit several over the years (and reported
> some upstream). The entire constellation of SA_RESTART issues where SIGSTOP and
> friends cause short reads on pipes, for example, and a zero length read is NOT
> necessarily EOF... I try to get that stuff right, and when there's a suprious
> only-happened-once thing like this I'll examine the code to see if I can figure
> out how it happened...
>
> But this isn't my code, this is ubuntu's shell and ubuntu's dd testing in
> microsoft github's container, and like 80% of the exposed surface area here
> isn't my stuff, which makes the likelihood of finding the bug is 20%...
>
> > anyway, the first time i see a failure i just take a mental note to
> > prime myself for future occurrences and assume cosmic ray/failing
> > hardware/bad kernel unless i see it again.
>
> If it happens on my laptop I will drop EVERYTHING and reproduce/explain it.
> Which sometimes takes days. It's one of those "I dropped a glass, there's
> fragments everywhere, DO NOT MOVE, DO NOT STEP ON ANYTHING" situations.
>
> If it happens in a random vm like this? 4 times out of 5 it's the VM.

(on Android, 4 times out of 5 i accuse it of being x86 vs arm, and 4
times out of 5 it's actually 32-bit vs 64-bit :-) )

> > the nice thing about CI though is that it doesn't take long before
> > it's run the tests more often than all the humans put together.
>
> Oh sure. I seriously want to expand test coverage, but it's far down the todo list.
>
> >> I thought I was not going to get these emails, and am sad. And to add insult,
> >> the github email says it's from "Rob Landley", which is very much not the case.
> >
> > annoyingly, i _want_ to get them, but don't. (and don't know how to
> > sign up for them either :-( )
>
> You should have access to fiddle. I dunno how github works under the surface...

yeah, i was assuming you wouldn't know either --- i was hoping Eric
would point us in the right direction again :-) (i did at least manage
to follow his directions to get the full log without it being
bizarrely restricted to a tiny scrolling area on my huge screen!)