[Toybox] depmod & modprobe?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed Mar 4 19:29:22 PST 2020

On 3/4/20 12:28 AM, scsijon wrote:
> I was wondering, since you've added most of the set (insmod, rmmod, lsmod,
> modprobe, modinfo, depmod), why you left the last two out as it would allow the
> removal of a package.

Because nobody's poked me about them yet?

There's a modprobe in pending.and depmod only matters if you want a modules.dep
file, which seems deeply silly to me because you can just read the modules files
live to get the information from them? (We don't have a lib.dep file for all the
libraries under /usr/lib and such, we just search them live because it doesn't
take long at all.)

> You should (?maybe) only need eudev to build with, rather
> than have to include kmod and not use toybox's commands.

I'm the guy who originally wrote mdev way back when, so it shouldn't be a
surprise I'm not a big fan of eudev. I haven't bothered to go through and redo
that because devtmpfs exists, but we still need a hotplug handler so it is still
on the todo list.

The thing is, the systems I build are A) static kernels with no modules, B)
haven't got a lot of hotplug stuff happening in them right now. (Although once
we implement the USB support in the turtle board bitstreams, then I need hotplug
handling again...)