[Toybox] depmod & modprobe?

scsijon scsijon at lamiaworks.com.au
Wed Mar 4 22:11:12 PST 2020

On 05/03/20 14:29, Rob Landley wrote:
> On 3/4/20 12:28 AM, scsijon wrote:
>> I was wondering, since you've added most of the set (insmod, rmmod, lsmod,
>> modprobe, modinfo, depmod), why you left the last two out as it would allow the
>> removal of a package.
>
> Because nobody's poked me about them yet?

:-) consider yourself poked, please, for both.

> There's a modprobe in pending.and depmod only matters if you want a modules.dep
> file, which seems deeply silly to me because you can just read the modules files
> live to get the information from them? (We don't have a lib.dep file for all the
> libraries under /usr/lib and such, we just search them live because it doesn't
> take long at all.)

The kernel seems to want them, and we serve the kernel what it wants! Or
is there a need for a depmod replacement that can be linked as that and
does it all on command?

>> You should (?maybe) only need eudev to build with, rather
>> than have to include kmod and not use toybox's commands.

I'd love to be able to remove the kmod-eudev / kmod-udev /
module-init-tools-udev pairs, and we do use kernel modules as we work
with a lot of very mixed up laptops and desktops, let alone ex-windows
tablets and others in puppylinux and easyos nowadays.

> I'm the guy who originally wrote mdev way back when,

seem to remember that being mentioned before, strangely it's still
available and there are a number of people reckon it's still better,
just limited by the desktop problems, maybe you could/should start to
think about a enhanced replacement for toybox :-)

so it shouldn't be a
> surprise I'm not a big fan of eudev.

it's better than a couple of alternatives that have appeared (and
thankfully dissapeared again) over the years

  I haven't bothered to go through and redo
> that because devtmpfs exists, but we still need a hotplug handler so it is still
> on the todo list.
>
> The thing is, the systems I build are A) static kernels with no modules, B)
> haven't got a lot of hotplug stuff happening in them right now. (Although once
> we implement the USB support in the turtle board bitstreams, then I need hotplug
> handling again...)
>
> Rob

yup,

thanks