[Toybox] watchdog: Can't call daemon() on nommu

Patrick Oppenlander patrick.oppenlander at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 13:58:04 PDT 2020

On Thu, 22 Oct 2020, 17:37 Rob Landley, <rob at landley.net> wrote:

> On 10/21/20 4:24 AM, Patrick Oppenlander wrote:
> > Sure, but..
> >
> > $ watchdog -F &
> >
> > works on nommu
>
> Yes, but fork() and daemon() shouldn't be available on nommu systems (they
> _can't_ succeed) and you can only compile time probe fore them if it's a
> build
> break.
>
> I have a todo item to make some variant of xdaemon() plumbing that works on
> nommu by relaunching the command, but I haven't gotten around to it yet
> because
> I'm back in tokyo at $DAYJOB.

Neat. Didn't know that was the plan, thanks.

> Also, watchdog -F is pretty useful as a quick test for newly developed
> > watchdog drivers on nommu platforms.
>
> I agree it should be supported. Eventually nothing should depend on
> TOYBOX_FORK,
> I need to fix up all of those to work on nommu properly.

Great! No hurry, just wanted to point it out. I'm playing "annoying user"
at the moment :)

> Rob

Enjoy Japan. Are they open for business at the moment? We're almost out of
a hard lockdown here in Melbourne, Australia. Travel restrictions have been
eased from 5km to 25km from home just this week.

Stay safe,

Patrick