[Toybox] spam filters

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sat Feb 27 23:19:48 PST 2021

On 2/25/21 12:24 PM, scsijon wrote:
> I asked one of my old filter engineers about this, since it's happening to
> people regularly (and i was curious why). His reply was basically that it's most
> likely the word toybox that's the problem and you need to check your spam
> filtering system has it as an allowed word (how ever you do this depends on the
> system). Apparently it has an eufanism on the web that's rather unplesent.

It's not "my" spam filter, it's gmail's stock spam filtering system.

This toybox mailing list has been piping through it for 12 years, and there were
a couple toybox lists before that.

On the current first page of the "spam" folder there are 6 false positive caught
messages from the linux containers mailing list, 8 from linux-kernel, and 3 from
qemu-devel, presumably zero of which include the word "toybox".

No, gmail's spam filter is just plain feral. Has been for a couple years now.
It's not compatible with high volume technical mailing lists, the false positive
rate goes up over 50% if you don't clean it out at least weekly.