[Toybox] spam filters

scsijon scsijon at lamiaworks.com
Sat Feb 27 23:39:33 PST 2021

On 28/2/21 6:19 pm, Rob Landley wrote:
> On 2/25/21 12:24 PM, scsijon wrote:
>> I asked one of my old filter engineers about this, since it's happening to
>> people regularly (and i was curious why). His reply was basically that it's most
>> likely the word toybox that's the problem and you need to check your spam
>> filtering system has it as an allowed word (how ever you do this depends on the
>> system). Apparently it has an eufanism on the web that's rather unplesent.
> It's not "my" spam filter, it's gmail's stock spam filtering system.
>
> This toybox mailing list has been piping through it for 12 years, and there were
> a couple toybox lists before that.
>
> On the current first page of the "spam" folder there are 6 false positive caught
> messages from the linux containers mailing list, 8 from linux-kernel, and 3 from
> qemu-devel, presumably zero of which include the word "toybox".

ok, so maybe it's something else

> No, gmail's spam filter is just plain feral. Has been for a couple years now.
> It's not compatible with high volume technical mailing lists, the false positive
> rate goes up over 50% if you don't clean it out at least weekly.

Ok, i'll agree with your gmail comment, there were a couple of others
the same and that's why some 10+ years ago I moved my mail to my own
mail system, a solid weeks work as I remember (mapping it out and
actually downloading and uploading to the new one). Although I do I
think I still have a gmail account (if they haven't deleted it), I
haven't used it (or looked in it) for years and it's set to delete
everything that goes into it without opening anything first (I think it
was), not even sure the password now (and don't want to know it either).

scsijon