[Toybox] Why does wikipedia[citation needed] keep doing this?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Jul 12 05:45:49 PDT 2021

On 7/12/21 7:05 AM, Rob Landley wrote:
> What POSSIBLE RELEVANCE does it have that toybox hasn't been under any license
> but 0BSD for eight years? That's longer than
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Compiler_Collection has been GPLv3 but that
> page doesnt' mention GPLv2 (or v1).

Blah, not longer. Toybox was started before gcc was relicensed, but that's not
the same thing. I've been awake too many consecutive hours.

My complaint stands though, the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samba_(software)
page does not say what license it USED to be under before GPLv3, or when that
license changed. It's a bad edit. And I don't edit wikipedia, so I can't undo
it. (I only want to about things I have firsthand knowledge of, and they don't
allow primary sources because that would jeopardize their status as the world's
largest accumulation of anecdotal evidence. Primary sources would collapse their
quantum waveform or something. The closest I come is adding anonymous complaints
to the "talk" page, which never helps.)

Rob

P.S. I remain amused/relieved that I'm not "notable" enough to have a wikipedia
page. I have an IMDB entry (really!), but not a wikipedia page. They have pages
on toybox and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linucon and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penguicon and 0bsd is on both their bsd license
page and the public domain equivalent license page and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BusyBox mentions me by name and so does
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix-like and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_Freedom_Law_Center and the pages for user
mode linux and bzip2 and the halloween documents (although mention of my tinycc
fork was removed from
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Tiny_C_Compiler&action=history by
_somebody_ who didn't like me, no idea what was up there) and one of my blog
entries is cited in support of the "commercial software" page and the "Phasor
Measurement Unit" page and qualcomm hexagon... and the "apple vs franklin"
lawsuit page? Really? Of course the page on the GPL mentions me by name, sigh...
No, the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCO_Forum citation is wrong I didn't WRITE
the "history of sco" I mirrored it, if you back up to
https://www.landley.net/history/mirror/ you'll see it was from
http://stage.caldera.com/about/history and
https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://stage.caldera.com/about/history.html has a
bunch of hits... Ahem. I'll stop now. (To clarify: I don't WANT a wikipedia
page, seems like a curse, but I find the entire organization hypcritical even
before the sexism and fundraising shenanigans and
https://www.npr.org/2015/03/12/392568604/dont-you-dare-use-comprised-of-on-wikipedia-one-editor-will-take-it-out
and so on. But sadly you can't NOT engage with them when they spread
misinformation, and since there IS a toybox page it's annoying when it's wrong
and/or misleading. Again.)

P.P.S. https://quoteinvestigator.com/2012/04/28/shorter-letter/ except it's
focus, not time. Zzzzz...