[Toybox] Release 0.8.8 is out.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Fri Aug 12 14:05:03 PDT 2022

On 8/12/22 15:49, enh wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 12, 2022 at 1:37 PM Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:
>>
>> It's up, less than a full week late.
>>
>> No new commands this time. (Most of the delay was the vain hope I could get diff
>> and dd ready in time, but... not even close.)
>>
>> Rob
>>
>> P.S. I cheated slightly and generated the help.html and status.html pages from
>> the x86-64 binary I uploaded this time, which comes from mkroot, which isn't
>> QUITE defconfig because that adds two commands (sh and route) to the defconfig
>> it builds. (Longstanding todo to fix it, working on it already for the shell...)
>>
>> And what that showed me is looking at https://landley.net/toybox/html.html it's
>> a little awkward to have command aliases be in the help -ah list. The first
>> thing in the list with the shell enabled are the "-bash", "-sh", and "-toysh"
>> aliases which I really would rather not have to explain to people. (Some legacy
>> thing from the 1970s with sysvinit calling login shells interacting badly with
>> command multiplexers wanting to know what a command is called. The bash man
>> page's invocation section says "A login shell is one whose first character of
>> argument zero is a -, or one started with the --login option.")
>>
>> Anyway, possibly I should filter out some aliases from the help -a output?
>> (Maybe just the entries starting with punctuation...)
>
> i've had to explain to OEMs a few times that, no, /system/bin/[ isn't
> a bug or a sign you've been hacked :-)

That one's legacy. It was in the $PATH in old unix and Red Hat 1.0 and such, and
busybox provides it too.

But the rest are shell builtins and such. They're already tagged to not create
symlinks, I should probably filter help -a so it's just  showing the stuff it
_would_ create symlinks for...

> i don't have a strong opinion on [ (though i suspect we _should_ keep
> that there), but hiding the -.* stuff sgtm, since that's really just
> an implementation detail of the multiplexer.

In the case of "-bash" yes. In the case of "." or ":" it's not an implementation
detail, it's an alias for "source" and "true" respectively. (Whether or not
"source" or "cd" should show up in the help -a list is a judgement call slash
design issue. No right answer, but I'm leaning towards NOT having them in there.
I think help.html should be the list of things you can call from toybox, and you
can't "toybox cd" any of the shell builtins...

Anyway, lemme finish dash, dd, the sed s///x extensions for tar --xform, and the
relative symlink mess, and THEN circle back around to this. :)