[Toybox] turning a shell script to an executable in a new toybox command?

scsijon scsijon at lamiaworks.com
Sun Aug 14 22:38:31 PDT 2022

Been looking around for a while now for simple shell compiler that I
could turn a number of shell scripts into small compiled packages to
deal with varying systems and versions, and I can't seem to find
something with a 'small' output.

BarryK's recently tried with BaCon, Nim, V, using helloworld and the
smallest is 19K and up to 689K. I tried a few others late last year and
rarely got below 350K with all the library addatives they seem they must
add inside the 'command'.

So I thought that ?maybe it could be worth adding one into the toybox
set, after all it surely doesn't have to be that complex, it's only
dealing with scripts? I was thinking / hopping about a maximum of 16K
and down to 8K or smaller for a simple script and inbuilt library.

Not being a package builder, just a user and simple scripter, I wondered
if it's possible or even practical to do?

Your thoughts please?