[Toybox] Navigating googlesource?

enh enh at google.com
Thu Apr 6 09:37:35 PDT 2023

On Thu, Apr 6, 2023 at 8:37 AM Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:

> On 4/6/23 09:55, Rob Landley wrote:
> > On 4/5/23 17:13, Yifan Hong wrote:
> >> Hello Rob Landley,
> >>
> >> The hack has not been reverted yet, but I'll do this immediately
> >> (https://android-review.git.corp.google.com/c/kernel/build/+/2525840).
> I'll
> >> also revert other hacks.
> >>
> >> A separate issue I see with the prebuilt tar is that it doesn't seem to
> extract
> >> a single file prefixed with `./`. This is best illustrated with the
> following
> >> example (see attached repro.sh and result.txt)
> >>
> >> That is, if an archive contains `./foo` as a entry, then extracting
> with `tar xf
> >> foo.tar.gz ./foo` doesn't seem to extract the file properly.
> >
> > Huh, looks like I broke that since the 0.8.9 release. And what's
> _really_ weird is:
> >
> > $ ./tar cv ./README > fweep.tar
> > ./README
> > $ ./tar tv ./README < fweep.tar
> > $ ./tar cv ./README | ./tar tv ./README
> > ./README
> >
> > Doesn't work when written to/from a file but does when piping between two
> > processes? Something to do with the changed exit path  maybe? I wonder
> what
> > strace says...
> >
> > openat(AT_FDCWD, "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libnss_nis.so.2",
> O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = 3
> > socket(AF_UNIX, SOCK_STREAM|SOCK_CLOEXEC|SOCK_NONBLOCK, 0) = 3
> > connect(3, {sa_family=AF_UNIX, sun_path="/var/run/nscd/socket"}, 110) =
> -1
> > ENOENT (No such file or directory)
> > openat(AT_FDCWD, "/etc/passwd", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = 3
> >
> > I hate glibc.
> >
> >> Could you please take a look? Thanks!
> >
> > Looking...
>
> Sorry for the delay, slack stopped working with debian "oldstable"'s
> version of
> chrome (big fullscreen "too old" tantrum page), and I went down a rathole
> of
> asking #devuan IRC why a newer one wasn't in the backports repo, and they
> forwarded me to the Debian guys who said Google's builds are too brittle
> to even
> _try_ building chromium on anything but the newest release with all the
> current
> compilers and libraries. So I have to do a major OS version update before
> I can
> use slack on my laptop again, and confirming that took a while. (I miss
> static
> binaries.)

(yeah, the flip side of hermetic builds is that folks like debian who will
neither use your binaries nor buy into "i'll use your compiler and sysroot
and everything" are in for a world of pain.)

> Anyway, I broke this adding the --wildcard stuff, commit 24133d5e23d7
> should fix
> it. Sorry about that...

thanks! updating AOSP in
https://android-review.git.corp.google.com/c/platform/external/toybox/+/2526229,
and i'll start on new host prebuilts for elsk once that's in...