[Toybox] 0.8.9

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sat Jan 28 02:52:26 PST 2023

On 1/27/23 00:54, Rob Landley wrote:
> Working on tar --sort now. I already got the dirtree changes for that in so
> hopefully not too much longer. Then I need to check my blog to see what I was
> doing before that... :)

The problem, of course, being that TESTING it is really annoying because I have
to force the test to run on a filesystem that doesn't ALREADY sort the files.
There is such a filesystem: vfat (in a newly created directory, files are
guaranteed to get appended to the directory in creation order with no special
hashing or nothin' and I don't THINK you need to "echo 2 >
/proc/sys/vm/drop_caches" to get them to reliably read back in that order but
I'm GOING to do that on general principles if I've got root access already), but
sticking "mkfs.vfat" and mount/umount into a test is just AWKWARD. It smells
like missing test infrastructure...

I mean for my OWN testing I can just reverse the sort and confirm the behavior's
consistent, but that's not useful for regression testing the behavior it's
SUPPOSED to display. Potential false positive because that's how the btrfs
hashing coincidentally worked out would be unpleasant. (Yeah, I'm overthinking
it, I know...)

Ooh, second question: does --sort apply to the command line arguments? Gotta
check that... (I know the specific use case here doesn't care, you just want
stability...)