[Toybox] DreamHost Security Alert

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed Apr 24 11:10:48 PDT 2024

Alas, my website's likely to be down for a bit while I explain to them that "the
compiler that got used to build an exploit" and "the exploit" can share strings
because gnu is incompetent and leaks the path where things got built into the
resulting binaries, but that does not mean that the compiler the strings came
from in the first place is actually infected.

I mean, here's an article from 2018:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/mirai-iot-malware-uses-aboriginal-linux-to-target-multiple-platforms/

Rob

(I'd point to old blog entries where I went "huh, my compilers got used to build
random russian malware" ten years ago, but my blog was on my site so you
wouldn't see it unless I fish it out of archive.org...)