[Aboriginal] Think think think...

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Apr 18 05:13:16 PDT 2011

So over the weekend I poked at doing the split-up of system-image.sh.
Technically it's not hard.

The problem is I'm cluttering the top level directory with build stages.

  http://landley.net/hg/aboriginal/file/110

Way back when (http://landley.net/hg/aboriginal/file/110) we used to have:

  download.sh
  host-tools.sh
  cross-compiler.sh
  mini-native.sh  (became root-filesystem.sh)
  package-mini-native.sh  (became system-image.sh)

Now we have:

  download.sh
  host-tools.sh
  simple-cross-compiler.sh
  cross-compiler.sh
  native-compiler.sh
  simple-root-filesystem.sh
  root-filesystem.sh
  system-image.sh

Now I'd be splitting system-image.sh into:

  image-root-filesystem.sh
  kernel.sh
  system-image.sh

With root-filesystem.sh and system-image.sh both combining existing
stages, I'd be tempted to call the scripts "combine-root-filesystem.sh"
and similar, except that I don't want the result to be called "combine"
and the output directory and the build script are consistently named the
same thing.

Grrr.  Always wanna to do conflicting things...

Ok, I think I need to take the README files and turn them all into HTML
web pages.  For example, http://landley.net/aboriginal/downloads/README
describes the build stage scripts, and who even notices it's there?
(And it's out of date, run-from-build.sh moved into the "more"
subdirectory ages ago...)

Speaking of the "more" subdirectory: I created that to declutter the top
level directory.  It contains things that the user can run but that
build.sh doesn't call.  But I'm not sure that's clear to people, or that
they ever notice it exists...

Sigh.  Documentation, organization for ease of use.  Getting it to
_work_ is hard enough...